Saturday, November 04, 2006

Last spring, when I started my seeds for my garden, I envied my parents' greenhouse, because they can start their seeds extra-early without any chance of frost killing their seedlings.

Since I don't have a greenhouse (yet; it's on my list), I spent a week or so trying to figure out how I could create one of my own without too much trouble and effort.

And then I remembered the old aquarium that I had in the shed. And I realized that it would fit my seed starting pots just fine--and my 'make do' greenhouse was born.

Not only did it work, but it worked quite well. In fact, I'm planning to add another aquarium to the collection next year, so I won't run out of room. It was a wonderful idea, and cost me nothing, since I got the aquarium for free.

There is only one caveat: The aquarium you use cannot be watertight, because when you water your seedlings, you want the water to drain. So an old, unused aquarium would probably be best. I did line it with paper towels, just to soak up a bit of the overflow, and it worked just fine.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome! We also have an old aquarium in the basement (I took pity on the previous owners and said they could leave it, because it's huge) and I'd love to use it for such a purpose, because we're definitely not getting the baby alligator that used to be in it.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Grey, I've seen those too--and I would have probably done that for a cold frame if I had any old windows. I've been looking on garbage night, but so far no luck. :)

Jenny, it really works well. And it sure beats having to go out and buy something--I did fashion a top with two scrap pieces of wood for the cold nights, but that was no big deal at all.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home